Confirmation of priority investments
On 12 October 2021, the European Investment Bank confirmed the State aid scheme for district heating and the State aid scheme to support the production of electricity from renewable energy sources as priority investments.
The amount of the resources from the Modernisation Fund specified in the Disbursement decision of the Commission will be paid to the Slovak Republic to each investment confirmed as a priority investment by the EIB as follows:
- 100 million EUR in the first disburstment to the State aid scheme for district heating (SA.63411). The scheme aims at improving of energy efficiency, modernizing of energy systems, including district heating or district heating (DH), energy storage and smart grid solutions heat, to increase the share of electricity and heat produced by high-efficiency combined heat and power (CHP) plants. The indicative amount of expenditure planned under this scheme for the period 2021-2030 is EUR 1 billion. EUR. The Granting Authority is the Ministry of the Environment of the Slovak Republic and the Implementing Authority is the Environmental Fund. The scheme text (PDF, 1 MB).
- 20 EUR million in the first disburstment to the State Aid Scheme to support the production of electricity from renewable energy sources to support investments in facilities for the generation of electricity from renewable energy sources (RES) in order to increase the share of RES in gross final energy consumption in Slovakia. The Granting Authority is the Ministry of the Environment of the Slovak Republic and the Implementing Authority is the Ministry of Economy of the Slovak Republic. The estimated average annual volume of funds from the Modernisation Fund for the implementation of this scheme is 40 mil. EUR. The indicative amount of expenditure planned under this scheme for the period 2021 - 2030 is 400 mil. EUR. The scheme text: (PDF, 1,05 MB)
The preparation of calls under the aforementioned state aid schemes for the submission of applications for support from MoF funds is currently underway. These calls should be published in 1Q 2022.
Submission of indicative investment proposals for 2022-2023
The Ministry of the Environment of the Slovak Republic and the Ministry of the Economy of the Slovak Republic have prepared an indicative list of investment proposals that the Slovak Republic intends to support from the Modernisation Fund resources in accordance with Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2020/1001 to the Modernisation Fund in the next two calendar years. This indicative list was sent to the Modernisation Fund Team (the European Investment Bank and the European Commission) in November 2021. The indicative list is available (PDF, 415,66 kB)
New investment proposals, as well as updated information on investments already sent, can be sent by project proponents at any time during the year using the completed form to the following addresses: firstname.lastname@example.org a email@example.com
In April 2021, the Ministry of the Environment of the Slovak Republic began preparing the document "Investment Strategy for the Modernisation Fund - Low Carbon Support Mechanism for the Period 2021 - 2030", which aims to set a transparent way of using MoF funds in the Slovak Republic, determine investment areas during the period 2021-2030 and to ensure a uniform procedure of selecting investments to be supported.
Investment plans of the Slovak Republic
Other investment areas that the Ministry of the Environment of the Slovak Republic plans to support in the coming years from MoF funds through state aid schemes or as individual projects are:
- replacing coal combustion in industrial energy and technologies, increasing energy efficiency and reducing greenhouse gas emissions in industry,
- heat production from RES,
- increasing energy efficiency in electricity production.